Monday, March 3, 2008

Bad News About Daisy and her Baby Puggles

Unfortunately, I have some really bad news. During the day last Wednesday, Daisy, my beagle, went into labor. She was panting all day and I could tell she was about to give birth to her baby Puggles. Well, nighttime had come around and about 1:30 in the morning, I was going to bed and checked on her. I noticed she had the feet of one of her baby puggles hanging outside of her. I ran and woke my husband up and we began to cheer Daisy on and encourage her to start pushing. Well after about twenty minutes of doing this, we were getting worried. Daisy just wouldn’t push and was more interested in running around then on accomplishing her task at hand.

I called the Veterinarian Emergency Room and asked what to do. We were prepared for her to give birth. We had the rubber gloves, the syringe, and the vaseline. The veterinarian told us to wait ten more minutes and if nothing, start to assist her in the process. In other words, we had to pull the baby Puggle out. Once we did, we realized that the baby had already passed on. Daisy had given birth to a still birth. The veterinarian had warned us that this might be the case, but at that point we were hoping for the best.

Time had passed, an hour, and then Daisy was ready to have her next Puggle. We were again prepared, encouraging Daisy, and praying to ourselves that all would be alright this time. The baby Puggles feet were coming out and they were moving! However, again, Daisy wouldn’t push. We waited for not very long and then decided to assist her again in the process. As we tried to very gently pull the baby out, Daisy was getting restless and upset. We finally got the baby out and thought the puppy would be alive, because its feet were moving. As soon as it came out, one last breath, and sadly the baby was gone.

At this point, my husband and I were in utmost shock and disbelief. We couldn’t believe this was happening and would never have expected it. I left the room crying as my husband, Jed, held the baby Puggle in his hands, for about a good hour. Nothing! I went and held the puppy and was hoping maybe that it was just weak. My eyes kept tricking me, because I kept thinking that I saw the puppy’s belly move up and down. I held the baby, prayed it was just weak, but it was too late. The second puppy was gone as well.

After this, Daisy had no more puppies. I was so relieved that there were only two that she had in her litter. I didn’t want Daisy or us to have to go through this again. The puppies were buried and Daisy rested.

In the morning, my four children woke up and my husband and I had to explain to them what had happened. I was actually amazed that my children handled the horrible news so good. Yes, they were upset and disappointed, we all were, but they understood.
I don’t understand what happened. Last time, Daisy had baby Puggles she did so well. I am not sure why she wouldn’t push and why they passed on like they did. It will be QUITE a while, if ever, before I would let Daisy have babies again. She is such a good mother and I think she is in shock. She has been running around the house looking for her babies. I let her lick her babies after they were born. I don’t think she understands and I think she thinks I did something with her baby Puggles. The reason I say this is because she doesn’t normally pee on my furniture and she peed on my chair, not the couch and not my husbands, three times in a row. How can you punish her for this? I am hoping this will improve. However, in the meantime, I am letting her rest and heal.

I will keep you all updated about her healing process. The baby Puggles were so ADORABLE. They looked just like Reece and actually like twins. They were both brindle and one had a white paw. I have had a lot of people ask how the puppies were doing and so I thought I better post what happened on the blog.
Thanks for all of your prayers and concerns. It is a pleasure to know that my family and Daisy are in your thoughts.

No comments: