Monday, February 18, 2008

***************ANNOUNCING THE BIRTH OF DAISY AND REECE’S PUGGLES*****************



Wow, it is hard to believe that I am going to have more babies in my house again! I am so excited to see those cute little puggles. It is such an exhilarating feeling to see them being born, and I can’t wait to see whether they look more like Reece or Daisy.

My last batch, most of them looked like Reece. He is such a cutie. Of course, Daisy is cute, too, especially with that big round belly!

Reece knows something is up. He is always sniffing around her belly. With his last batch of puppies, he was SCARED TO DEATH of those little puggles! It was so cute. Reece is such a spaz; I was scared he would crush them. But, instead, he was very cautious and really just stayed away, until they started moving around and then he wanted to play.

Daisy was very protective of her babies. She was such an attentive mother. I was so proud of how she took care of her babies. When people came over to see them, she was okay with it; however, she made sure she was right up there in their laps, making sure her babies were okay.

Daisy and Reece’s puggles are due on February 29th. Although, it will be very hard for me to part with these cute little puggles, I have found that I get such a special feeling in my heart when I do put them in the arms of someone I know is just as excited about bringing a new baby into their home. I am very particular in where my puggles will end up. It is such an amazing feeling to be a part of bringing in a new member to someone’s family.

Since my baby is having babies, I thought it would be a good time to share a little of facts with you pertaining to pregnant Beagles! I know I was pretty much in the dark on what to expect while my beagle was expecting.

What to expect when they are expecting!
The average gestation is 63 days, but can vary from 57 to 65 days
Provide her with a safe, warm and fairly isolated area where she can deliver and raise her puppies once they are born.

A whelping box of some kind would be beneficial in keeping the puppies contained. This box should be large enough for her to be able to stretch out with some extra room for her litter. I would try to find something that is almost three times her size. You can purchase prefabricated ones online or you can have one built. It would very wise to have puppy guard rails that are about an inch in width and place around the inside of the box about two to four inches from the bottom to help prevent a puppy from getting smothered.

Get her used to her whelping box at least a week before delivery.
Begin taking her temperature at least twice daily about one week before her due date. A normal temperature is 101 – 102.5. When her temperature reaches below 98 degrees, she will likely be in labor with 24 hours.

Signs of labor include: shivering, rapid panting, refusal of food and occasionally vomiting. She will probably begin a nesting behavior, such as digging at bedding, etc.

THE DELIVERY:
Finally the day you have been looking for! Your puggles are on their way! Although the mother instinctively knows what to do, there are still a few things to look for during delivery. Contact your vet ASAP if she is straining yet no puppies appear within an hour or two, at the most. This could indicate that the babies are too big, and a C-section is necessary. During a natural delivery, a half hour between puppies is the average time it takes for delivery, a longer time could indicate a problem. Unfortunately, it is very common for her to deliver several puppies and have difficulty with the last one or two. Delivery is extremely exhausting. However, all she may need is a simple injection of oxytocin, which is a drug that helps the uterus to contract, to finish the delivery.

No comments: